This week, we will be looking at how to improve your coaching skills which will help you optimize the performance and give a long term relationship with your audience.
However, before we go into details, let’s define coaching.
What is Coaching?
Coaching is simply the facilitating process for the exploration of needs, desires, motivations, skills, and thought processes to assist the individual in making real, lasting change.
It’s the duty of the coach to enable the trainee or coachee to explore, and get a full understanding, create more awareness and to make a better decision.
Now that we have defined coaching, I would like to let you know that coaching is different from mentoring. “Coaching” is all about asking questions to enable the person involved to think of themselves, while on the other hand, mentoring is giving advice and experience to help the person involved.
What Are The Qualities Of A Good Coach?
Below are some coaching skills:
Improve Listen Skills
One of the qualities that make a good coach is to demonstrate good listening skills. Don’t jump in immediately with your perception of what their solution might be. What your audience wants is to help to find a solution to their problems.
Avoid being prescriptive and telling them they have to do this or that. Don’t jump into conclusions, as your attention helps generate their thinking.
Avoid making judgments about what they tell you, as what is good or works for you may be the opposite for them.
Brainstorm without judgment, ask them the possible ways to change things and their suggestions. As a coach, your priority is to help them get what they want, not what you think they should want.
Communicate With Others
Communication is an effective coaching skill. Before you initiate change or encourage people, tell them what you plan to do.
Consider Your Body Language
Your body language tells a lot about you. Coaching is a big task as many people are looking forward to you to impress them. Your actions may influence your coachee either negatively or positively.
Encourage them to set their goals and think positively. Take each step as it comes while keeping the desired outcome in their mind. The coachee should take responsibility for their own goals, as that would help them demonstrate more commitment and achieve success.
- Active listening is a core coaching competency. When people are fully heard, they act immediately. But, not being heard slows down the response and personal development.
- Confidentiality is essential. Ensure the place is quiet and free from distractions.
- Sometimes, the coachee has the answer, sometimes the coach does as well. It doesn’t really matter where it comes from.
- Go at their pace and don’t rush so as to carry everyone along.
- Ensure not to write notes during the session, as that will enable you to focus on the other person.
- Any situation can be optimized, turned around, or improved. But if it cannot, then get out of it responsibly.
- Rising above the stuff of life is an important step in coaching, as fewer problems occur when one has a strong personal foundation.
- Success has nothing to do with privilege or background, as success is a basic human right.
- When the coachee properly defines success, coaching becomes easy.
In conclusion, everyone needs a push at times. It is through skillful coaching that one could get the tools necessary for him or her to succeed in life. One of the greatest things about coaching is that it enables the coachee to break barriers and be empowered.